Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

BA Dreamliner engine problems

The problem is with the Rolls Royce engines. IIRC, something about corrosion of the compressor turbine blades. Rolls is on the hook for this and it is costing them dearly as the either fix or replace the engines.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

its more interesting that qatar had three planes to lease out

It doesn't surprise me as they must have lost quite a lot of business with their falling out and cutting off of relations with neighbours.

Some think Qatar has too much capacity (bought too many airplanes). Others think they have long term plans to compete with Emirates. Time will tell, I guess.

Emirates is is having to put aircraft into storage at DWC caused by a shortage of pilots.... Both A380's and 777-300ER's are being put into storage.

Emirates is is having to put aircraft into storage at DWC caused by a shortage of pilots.... Both A380's and 777-300ER's are being put into storage.

Wonder what the real cost of everything associated with an A380 being in storage from loss of revenue to original cost etc etc

£1 million a day or more ??

Wonder what the real cost of everything associated with an A380 being in storage from loss of revenue to original cost etc etc

£1 million a day or more ??

If Emirates don't have enough pilots to fly them what can they do? At present there's more 777's in storage then A380's...

If Emirates don't have enough pilots to fly them what can they do? At present there's more 777's in storage then A380's...

Yes am not arguing that point. Have just had a look at Emirates confirmed order book going forward and its huge. Makes you wonder if some will ever fly in Emirates colours or just be leased out

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-orders-36-a380s-worth-us-16-billion#

Edited by Rawhide2

Yes am not arguing that point. Have just had a look at Emirates confirmed order book going forward and its huge. Makes you wonder if some will ever fly in Emirates colours or just be leased out

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-orders-36-a380s-worth-us-16-billion#

Etihad is in bigger trouble than either Emirates or Qatar..... Etihad are now looking at cancelling some of their ordered aircraft

• Upvote 1

I disagree. There are plenty of pilots to fly the planes, all they have to do is pay more than anybody else and they will flock to them.

Econ 101, supply and demand.

• Upvote 2

I disagree. There are plenty of pilots to fly the planes, all they have to do is pay more than anybody else and they will flock to them.

Econ 101, supply and demand.

They can attract pilots to fly for them, but the problem is keeping them.... the problem is the turnover. At the moment more pilots are leaving than being recruited or trained....

They can attract pilots to fly for them, but the problem is keeping them.... the problem is the turnover. At the moment more pilots are leaving than being recruited or trained....

Ok, but why are they leaving? If they are hanging up their pilots licence and retiring, then they are lost, but if they are going to another carrier, then somethings wrong with the pay scale or employment structure and environment.

Pilots are no different than any skilled profession, you pay above average and provide an outstanding work environment, then skilled people will want to work for you.

• Upvote 1

I thought that I read some time ago that with Emirates being Middle East based a lot of the shifts were early morning/late night starts etc. Airline pilots are used to unsocial hours but EK's are worse than most.

In a real pilot shortage, the plane that carries the most pilots per passenger will be the most in demand.

Err, not passengers per pilot?

Quit making fun of my dyslexia ;)

KO!

Hi,

Saw this P&W engine in Dublin. Impressive.

Hi,

P1010454.JPG

Hi,

Hi,

It'd make an impressive door stop....

• 2 weeks later...

read in the paper that the problem with the turbine blades wont be sorted till 2021 ......

I couldn't find that comment but found this from the FT.

Some 34 aircraft are on the ground at the moment and this could rise to about 50 in the coming weeks, a person with knowledge of the subject said.

To deal with the increased disruption, Rolls-Royce has now tripled the number of engines it can fix at any one time to about 20.

Rolls-Royce will also announce that it has been able to bring forward a permanent fix for the IP compressor blades from the beginning of 2019 to the back end of this year.

• 2 weeks later...