Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pictures from around Pattaya

I noticed that half of Klang was blocked off yesterday from 2nd to Beach Road. At first I thought it was to  do with cable burial but it looks more like water pumps, there was absolutely no work going on, simply the road closed off and equipment left there. Also some delay on 2nd Rd just ahead of Central Festival (BR)  Mall. At first I thought it was the usual mess from the car-parking there but it was work on the Beach Side, closing off part of the road. 

Traffic heavy in town, and a little impatient, those on motorcycles getting  crazy due to having their brains boiled in their helmets. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was on Walking Street last week, had a good time.  Doorman wouldn't let me into Pinup at 7:55 so I went over to XS for a beer, when I came back at 8:30 I was lucky to get a table in the back.  The b

A few from Tree Town and surrounds from earlier this evening.  

Sanctuary of Truth.  Admission is 500 baht.  Quite busy this afternoon.  They do try to get visitors to stay in groups (50 in our case).  I managed to get lost from the group and did my own thing taki

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jacko said:

I noticed that half of Klang was blocked off yesterday from 2nd to Beach Road. At first I thought it was to  do with cable burial but it looks more like water pumps, there was absolutely no work going on, simply the road closed off and equipment left there. Also some delay on 2nd Rd just ahead of Central Festival (BR)  Mall. At first I thought it was the usual mess from the car-parking there but it was work on the Beach Side, closing off part of the road. 

The delay on 2nd Rd is due to work on moving the overhead utility cables underground. Posted last week was a pic of them disassembling and removing the drill. 

46810529584_3bdc673dd1_b.jpg

2 hours ago, jacko said:

I noticed that half of Klang was blocked off yesterday from 2nd to Beach Road. At first I thought it was to  do with cable burial but it looks more like water pumps, there was absolutely no work going on, simply the road closed off and equipment left there.

I believe @helloitsme was warned about this a few weeks ago, but I don't recall why - maybe it was drainage. 

On 2/25/2019 at 1:52 AM, halfaboy said:

The correct name of the Belgian Embassy was the Welcome Inn. 

Pedantic me thinks it was Welkom Inn - in Flemish/Dutch.  Great thread.  That flooding looks horrendous. :scared:

Edited by capdagde
5 hours ago, Bazle said:

I believe @helloitsme was warned about this a few weeks ago, but I don't recall why - maybe it was drainage. 

What? Me?!

The boss man who was playing those decorative drainage channels on the beach did say that there were going to be new drains put in beach road, but didn't mention klang.... if that's what you mean...

55 minutes ago, helloitsme said:

What? Me?!

The boss man who was playing those decorative drainage channels on the beach did say that there were going to be new drains put in beach road, but didn't mention klang.... if that's what you mean...

It is what I meant. Cheers.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like they're finally getting around to backfilling the open sewer.
P4240006.jpg

Assuming this is an access shaft to the below ground storm water line, why is it full of water. We haven't had rain for over a week, so I would expect the storm water line to have a minimum amount of water in it. Certainly not this much.
P4240005.jpg

• Upvote 1

Work continues on the Easy R-Con open sewer. Looks like they're doing this in stages. Section closest to Buakhao is now filled in and now they've dug out the next section.

P5010002.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/10/2019 at 9:04 AM, forcebwithu said:

The delay on 2nd Rd is due to work on moving the overhead utility cables underground. Posted last week was a pic of them disassembling and removing the drill. 

Does anyone know if they are putting all of the cables under or just the power cables? If its just power are they taking the poles down and leaving the internet etc. guys to find their own solution?

Thanks for posting, I took a pic or two last night there but no need to use them now. 

That job looks like it will go on forever! Bad for all the businesses around there!

The Beach end of Klang is half closed and this was causing traffic back-up on Klang and the 2nd junction. There was some other work, which I think was either cable burying, or drain cleaning, who the hell knows these days. That was opposite soi 7 off 2nd, behind the Memorial Hospital. 

51 minutes ago, jacko said:

Thanks for posting, I took a pic or two last night there but no need to use them now. 

That job looks like it will go on forever! Bad for all the businesses around there!

The Beach end of Klang is half closed and this was causing traffic back-up on Klang and the 2nd junction. There was some other work, which I think was either cable burying, or drain cleaning, who the hell knows these days. That was opposite soi 7 off 2nd, behind the Memorial Hospital. 

There's a big project underway to move the overhead electric underground.

https://news.lovepattayathailand.com/local/work-begin-burying-electrical-cables-pattaya-february-19/

The roads which over time will be included in the project here in Pattaya are as follows, North Pattaya, Central Pattaya, Sukhumvit, Pattaya Sai 1 as far as Bali Hai, Pattaya Sai 2 and 3, Soi Lengki and Soi Buakhao, First Stage South Pattaya and Second Stage South Pattaya.

When they start work on Buakhao it's really going to make a mess of the traffic on that soi. Hopefully they do the smart thing and make Buakhao one way until the work is done. Better still, leave it one way after the project is done.

On 5/9/2019 at 2:02 PM, forcebwithu said:

There's a big project underway to move the overhead electric underground.

https://news.lovepattayathailand.com/local/work-begin-burying-electrical-cables-pattaya-february-19/

When they start work on Buakhao it's really going to make a mess of the traffic on that soi. Hopefully they do the smart thing and make Buakhao one way until the work is done. Better still, leave it one way after the project is done.

I've asked this in a few places, but so far nobody seems to know the answer. They are burying the power cables, but what about the other 90% of cables hanging from power poles that are not power cables? The boring and digging I've seen so far will in no way take the fibre optic and other cables. Are they going to remove the poles and leave the other guys 'hanging in thin air'?

39 minutes ago, Bob Belzy said:

I've asked this in a few places, but so far nobody seems to know the answer. They are burying the power cables, but what about the other 90% of cables hanging from power poles that are not power cables? The boring and digging I've seen so far will in no way take the fibre optic and other cables. Are they going to remove the poles and leave the other guys 'hanging in thin air'?

Most of those cables are redundant. They always have simply run new cables and left the old ones. 

I haven't stood and watched them work, but expect many go to the scrap yard. Are they leaving them up there? I would expect TV and Internet cables to have separate conduits underground.  Problem is many of these need mains powered boosters. The 'future' is in 5G where all that stuff can be sent around on 20 GHz (SHF) from tower type networks like the current mobile phones.

Edited by jacko
32 minutes ago, jacko said:

Most of those cables are redundant. They always have simply run new cables and left the old ones. 

I haven't stood and watched them work, but expect many go to the scrap yard. Are they leaving them up there? I would expect TV and Internet cables to have separate conduits underground.  Problem is many of these need mains powered boosters. The 'future' is in 5G where all that stuff can be sent around on 20 GHz (SHF) from tower type networks like the current mobile phones.

You miss the point. I've seen nothing so far that includes the fibre-optic and other cables in the equation and I'm not interested in anyone's 'expectations'. What I'm asking is if anyone knows if those cables have been included in the planning. After all we are talking about Thailand. Yes 5G is another issue, but f-all to do with what I'm asking, as it may impact on people's internet access now and just not in the future.

2 hours ago, Bob Belzy said:

You miss the point. I've seen nothing so far that includes the fibre-optic and other cables in the equation and I'm not interested in anyone's 'expectations'. What I'm asking is if anyone knows if those cables have been included in the planning. After all we are talking about Thailand. Yes 5G is another issue, but f-all to do with what I'm asking, as it may impact on people's internet access now and just not in the future.

As I said, because you asked, 90% of those cables can simply be taken down. I don't think we have any BMs who work at City Hall. I will see if I can see exactly what they are doing next time I am near the job. Better still, take a look on Nua, that was done just under a year ago. I seem to recall all those cables were still there just moved closer to the buildings. 

Edited by jacko

Never imagined that any BM works at city hall, in fact very few people work there at all!  Just wondered if anyone had anything to report. Some areas like the northern end of town will be easier than others due to newer infrastructure and less time in place. If 90% can be taken down, then where are the services that replace them? 5G is still a fair way off, especially for the small places.

4 hours ago, TheFiend said:

But could they identify which cables are in use and which are redundant???

Not so straightforward I am betting. I will take a look on North Rd and see what got left behind. 

I still use coax internet into my place,   although they ran fibre now. Cancelled my phone landline, never used it and it went dead. TOT said they have switched people to the fibre optic network. In some central locations it looks like there are hundreds of cables up there, surely they don't have much need for more than a few dozen. Money in that scrap cable!

On 1/30/2019 at 3:07 AM, aussiechic said:

Wouldn't want to be the guy in the dark blue shorts.

Looks like he's getting a great bit of "frottage" in, like he does at home on the Tube, but in riskier circumstances perhaps?  That give him extra "frisson".

I wouldn't want to be the person in front of him.....:grin 

I stayed at the Golf Club before it became Queen, don't remember seeing the Base - distracted no doubt.....

Good thread.  Thanks.

Edited by capdagde
1 hour ago, TheFiend said:

Glad I arrive the day after it finishes... LOL!!!

I'll wave to you going in the opposite direction! ☺️

11 hours ago, Bazle said:

Durian Fruit Festival - 15 to 19 May

Bloody Festival for everything every week or so. I am only permitted a coupe of Durian every season and have had them this year already.

Beware, eat too much and suffer, it is very rich. It will also be 'with you' for several hours after you eat it, and people will have to keep their distance, it repeats. 

Edited by jacko