Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pictures from around Pattaya

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was on Walking Street last week, had a good time.  Doorman wouldn't let me into Pinup at 7:55 so I went over to XS for a beer, when I came back at 8:30 I was lucky to get a table in the back.  The b

A few from Tree Town and surrounds from earlier this evening.  

Sanctuary of Truth.  Admission is 500 baht.  Quite busy this afternoon.  They do try to get visitors to stay in groups (50 in our case).  I managed to get lost from the group and did my own thing taki

Posted Images

Wow, prices of durian are up. Only 2 weeks ago I bought the fruit from a nice little durian stall just near the corner of 2nd Road and Soi 11, in Jomtien, for 100 Baht per kilo (and my wife from Sisaket) said THAT was too expensive..

5 minutes ago, yorta2 said:

Wow, prices of durian are up. Only 2 weeks ago I bought the fruit from a nice little durian stall just near the corner of 2nd Road and Soi 11, in Jomtien, for 100 Baht per kilo (and my wife from Sisaket) said THAT was too expensive..

Are they just trying to fleece the tourists?

1 hour ago, yorta2 said:

These festivals always have rip-off prices. I always used to laugh at what was charged for prepped fruit at the small  tourist fleecing market at the back of Mike's Shopping Mall. Although I am informed there are quite a few types of Durian and the prices vary, there are some that cost more than lobster. 100 baht/kilo is what I think I paid last time for Mongthong, I went to the seasonal market in Rayong. My Mrs brought me one a few weeks ago and did nothing but complain about the smell for the next week. 

https://durians.com/pages/types-of-durians-thailand

Edited by jacko

Easy R-Con, slow going open sewer project. They are certainly taking their sweet time completing this project. On the 14th I snapped a pic of concrete forms going in on the rear half. Yesterday I noticed a cement truck on site, so a little more than a week to get around to the cement pour. Today, not exactly a beehive of activity.

P5230017.jpg

• Upvote 2

Easy R-Con open sewer, never ending project update. Concrete forms going in, so probably another week before they get around to pouring concrete.

On a side note: Grabbed a bite to eat at Easy R-Con yesterday evening when I heard the pumps kick in. Short time later I was getting good whiffs of the stench from the open sewer. Enough so I had to move to the far side of the bar for fresh air.
P5290001.jpg

Over on 2nd Rd we see typical Thai lack of forethought at work. The trench that was dug to bury the overhead cables was filled in, then cemented over. But now they're back, breaking up the concrete cover to gain access to something they forgot to do.
P5290005.jpg

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Over on 2nd Rd we see typical Thai lack of forethought at work. The trench that was dug to bury the overhead cables was filled in, then cemented over. But now they're back, breaking up the concrete cover to gain access to something they forgot to do.

I had reason to be on Klang Monday, between 2nd and Beach Road and I see the equipment and holes have gone. I thought the project was cable burial, so I took a look up. Still plenty of cables up there, MV. LV  and communication. I am at a loss as to what they have done?

51 minutes ago, jacko said:

I had reason to be on Klang Monday, between 2nd and Beach Road and I see the equipment and holes have gone. I thought the project was cable burial, so I took a look up. Still plenty of cables up there, MV. LV  and communication. I am at a loss as to what they have done?

I suppose that they may have laid new power cables, but then it has to be connected up to the properties, followed by changeover and then decommissioning of the aerial power system. A couple of times I have asked if anyone knows how they are actually going to carry out the project, as I see this as a lot more complex than might first meet the eye.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jacko said:

What's strange about the drilling they did is in some spots, after drilling they dug a trench in its place. My inexperienced guess is it would have been more expedient to just dig a trench rather than messing around with drilling. The one exception is across the 2nd Rd, Klang intersection, which is what they have done and as a result there was minimal traffic disruption.

I didn't snap a pic, but did notice today they were feeding rope through the underground conduits in the part under the intersection. They'll then use the rope to pull the cable through.

As @Bob Belzy posted, they'll have to first have all the underground cables in place before they can make the switchover. Once that's done the overhead cables can come down.

While the reports I read only mentioned power cables going underground, hopefully that's just a bad translation and the utilities will also go underground as well.

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

>SNIP<

While the reports I read only mentioned power cables going underground, hopefully that's just a bad translation and the utilities will also go underground as well.

Err hang on, we're talking Pattaya now...... it would not surprise me in the least if the fibre etc had not been included in the burial plans. At best they have included the main telcos, but the rest???

On 5/29/2019 at 12:59 PM, forcebwithu said:

Easy R-Con open sewer, never ending project update. Concrete forms going in, so probably another week before they get around to pouring concrete.

One day short of a week since they had the forms in and the concrete truck shows up.
P6040001.jpg

P6040006.jpg

To my uneducated eye it seems odd they would start the concrete pour at the end of the form rather than in the middle. Not easy to see in the pic below but there's a "hill" in the concrete about a 1/3 of the way down which is preventing the new concrete from flowing to the farthest end. Wonder if any of the workers will notice before they send the truck away.
P6040011.jpg

I'm also wondering what they hope to accomplish with this project, other than lining someone's pocket. It's basically a big box with a storm water drain entering at one end, but no discernable outflow at the other end. If they intend to install a pump, where are they going to pump the water to?
P6040008.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
10 hours ago, Butch said:

"Tiger" - Cat belonging to the Golf Club, it then adopts whomever will feeds it. Very friendly little thing, doesn't mind his belly being rubbed. Certainly the nicest pussy I encountered this trip (badum - tish)

P1040229 (Medium).JPG

While sitting at Billabong a while ago noticed the cat wandering around. He/she made the mistake though of wandering into Time Bar only to be chased out by some guy with a stick. Obviously not a cat lover.

• Upvote 1

Do these animals get vaccinated?

A woman from the UK recently died from rabies that she got from playing with a puppy. I avoid animals over there. Here too but at least here they have their tags.

There are government vaccination programs from time to time when significant outbreaks occur, but I have no idea how broad or effective they are. Vaccinations are certainly not the norm for normal soi dogs and cats.

3 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

A woman from the UK recently died from rabies that she got from playing with a puppy. I avoid animals over there. Here too but at least here they have their tags.

Are you getting confused with the Swedish / Norwegian girl who caught rabies playing with a puppy in the Phillipines?

4 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

I doubt the average Thai soi dog or cat has ever been near a vet.

The toy dogs Thai women love, yes likely, my cat, assuredly, most dogs with very little fur sat scratching, certainly not. 

9 hours ago, tallguy said:

Are you getting confused with the Swedish / Norwegian girl who caught rabies playing with a puppy in the Phillipines?

likely. I thought she was British sorry.

Edited by midlifecrisis
1 minute ago, midlifecrisis said:

likely. I thought she was british sorry.

Yes, after St Paddy got rid of all the snakes in Ireland, he came and eliminated rabies from the UK.

Mr Tiger is fully vaccinated and very tame and friendly. He has taken up residence and stepped into the shoes of the late Mr Daeng who was the Devils Den adopted cat and would often curl up on one of the seats there.

Like all cats, he is of the opinion that if you feed him, he's your friend, until you stop feeding him or someone else does.

Here are a few more pics, mostly from the Skaw beach and Made in thailand cut through areas to Bukhao. I still can't understand why there is construction going on for even more bars, given the current and possible future climate...

Now, apologies if my geography is a bit shakey. I'm under the impression that the Treetown walk / cut through to second rd from Bukhao is the Skaw Beach one, I might well be wrong so apologies if that is the case.

P1040234 (Medium).JPG

This is inbetween the Skaw beach and MIT walkthrough, linking the two of them if that makes sense. Seems to be another rake of bar or single unit construction.

P1040235 (Medium).JPG

Looking towards Bukhao from MIT

P1040236 (Medium).JPG

Looking towards Bukhao from Skaw beach (I think), if you took a few steps back, then looked to your left you would be looking towards pic # 2.

P1040238 (Medium).JPG

Looking towards 2nd Rd from Tree Town

P1040239 (Medium).JPG

Further down towards Bukhao from MIT.

P1040240 (Medium).JPG

In the same area, couldn't work out why the top half was not used for accomodation. Seems a waste.

P1040241 (Medium).JPG

Another half finished building in the same design as "Beer Hubb" but further in towards Second rd on the MIT cut through, good design, shite location. This will probably remain

as is for a good while.

P1040243 (Medium).JPG

This is just off Bukhao, heading towards 3rd rd near to the fruit market. I'm not sure of the Soi but a 3 unit building gone to ruin. Further up there was a beer bar with just one farang,

sat inside looking very forlorn. it was up for sale. I was going to stop in but thought that I might be on the recieving end of a sob or hard luck story, so I kept walking.

P1040245 (Medium).JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for that Butch - good format for a thread.

Maybe the whole "doomed to failure" thing on the new constructions is a bit premature if the "Entertainment Areas" between Beach Road and 2nd Road are to become "Non-Entertainment Areas" in the near future.

Of course Walking Street and, I believe, Soi 6 (with the barfronts closed in) will qualify for UNESCO World Heritage Site status - they'll have to be nominated by another country though.  I can't see TOT/LOS putting them forward. :hairout 

Edit - Thanks for the actual thread to FORCEBEWITHU :sorry

Edited by capdagde
OOOPS - forcebewithU
  • Like 1

Another update for the Easy R-Con open sewer project. I couldn't see it when the forms were in place, but there are outflows from the concrete box. Best guess now is the box is going to serve as a settling area for all the muck that gets washed down from farther upstream. Easier to clean the muck out in one place rather than the length of the storm sewers.

P6090002.jpg

P6090004.jpg

• Like 2

They've been digging up the front of The Avenue and are now laying concrete. Acess from Second Road is limited. Best way in at the moment is via the car park. A week or so there was a way in by going around the side of Firepork but this is not currently available. The other day my mate and I ended up walking the plank over wet concrete to get to Second Road.

Not great for businesses there in what is a very quiet low season anyway.

20190609_152626.jpg

20190609_152558.jpg

20190609_152555.jpg

Edited by tallguy
  • Like 3
16 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Easier to clean the muck out in one place rather than the length of the storm sewers.

Interesting, so a few times each year a large lid will be taken off and the convicts sent in there? Great news for the people having businesses on that corner. 

Any strainers in there would be clogged up after a single rain shower. 

Edited by jacko