Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Walking along the river!

1 hour ago, BigusDicus said:

That is warmer than when we were there last October.  Great pics, thank you.

Was the hottest day of the year so far.

• Upvote 1

Was once stopping down in Twickenham and decided to go for a wander alongside the Thames heading eastward.... Didn't fancy walking all the way back from the centre of London, so I caught the tube from Victoria to Kew Garden and walked back from there...

All a bit scruffy and unkempt at the beginning, Brentford I guess.

7 hours ago, jacko said:

All a bit scruffy and unkempt at the beginning, Brentford I guess.

Yeah was Brentford. Brentford is in the middle of a serious redevelopment right now that will take a few more years to complete.

6 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

Was the beginning more working class England?

Very much working class back in the day. Brentford used to have a big barge building community there and a huge dockside/wharf area along the river. Very much an old dockers town area!

1 hour ago, firth1974 said:

Yeah was Brentford. Brentford is in the middle of a serious redevelopment right now that will take a few more years to complete.

Here come a few million quid apartments perhaps?

Thanks so much Firth, this area was my stamping ground when I lived in East Sheen in the 80s. Brings back memories, especially of pub nights near the beautiful Richmond Bridge. Very low water levels in some of those pics, don't remember them that low in the 80s but I may be wrong.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bushcraft said:

Thanks so much Firth, this area was my stamping ground when I lived in East Sheen in the 80s. Brings back memories, especially of pub nights near the beautiful Richmond Bridge. Very low water levels in some of those pics, don't remember them that low in the 80s but I may be wrong.

Low tide in those pics. Its always like that around that time of day.

Great pics firth and thanks for taking the time and effort to upload them.

I'm a bit surprised to see some "derelict" and abandoned boats, along with a couple of derelict buildings. Even in Brentford I'd have thought it would be prime houseboat real estate!.

Any idea what boat is behind the foliage in this pic? - With a rig like that it looks commercial.

645CB9DF-32AD-4A6C-9A7A-19CF91D6C1AB.thumb.jpeg.a81f512ae0ea25ef6a684ebc12b62dbe.jpeg

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Butch said:

Great pics firth and thanks for taking the time and effort to upload them.

I'm a bit surprised to see some "derelict" and abandoned boats, along with a couple of derelict buildings. Even in Brentford I'd have thought it would be prime houseboat real estate!.

Any idea what boat is behind the foliage in this pic? - With a rig like that it looks commercial.

645CB9DF-32AD-4A6C-9A7A-19CF91D6C1AB.thumb.jpeg.a81f512ae0ea25ef6a684ebc12b62dbe.jpeg

I've no idea what that boat was, I cant remember. Don't have a photo either!

Where these abandoned boats are used to be full of house boats only 2 years ago! Looks like the council are swooping in and getting rid of those boats in that particular bit of dockside! Didn't see any derelict buildings though, or do you mean the buildings before this photo in the thread? If so, they are the barge building and maintenance building sheds for the barges along the River Brent at the lock.

48 minutes ago, Butch said:

Hi Firth

Sorry mate I was on about this one, looks pretty derelict to me lol, although I might be well wide of the mark :

88D7FA72-72A9-4BB3-9492-B845C150D132.thumb.jpeg.a8e5c814c2b00a13f8765d8229f0091c.jpeg

Yeah, that one does look a little "derelict", but either side of this they are building Barges in their dry docks! Guess this one must of gone bust a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

Some great pictures there. I very rarely take photos im pleased with but then again i only have my phone camera. 

I quite like this one i took on the rochdale canal. 

20190913_122258.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm surprised the water doesn't look deeper - what with all the old tyres along the banks, pushing the water level higher. It was good to see much cleaner banks further into the photo progression. But, I did enjoy the tour.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, yorta2 said:

I'm surprised the water doesn't look deeper - what with all the old tyres along the banks, pushing the water level higher. It was good to see much cleaner banks further into the photo progression. But, I did enjoy the tour.

Low tide along that part of the Thames. On that stretch of river, it is actually quite narrow and very shallow. Not the same as you go further into London on the river. Those tyres were originally there for a reason. Where they are used to be full of old boats and tugs that people lived on, and part of the job for the tyres was to help keep upright the boat, and also to not allow it to slide back into the river and roll over and submerge!! I think a lot of people have the same thinking as you when they see the tyres close to the Quayside and river banks!

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, la8rat said:

Some great pictures there. I very rarely take photos im pleased with but then again i only have my phone camera. 

I quite like this one i took on the rochdale canal. 

20190913_122258.jpg

My family are from the Halifax and Holmfirth area, and they are some stunning (although derelict) warehouses and buildings along the canal in that part of Yorkshire.

• Upvote 1