Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Terrific report excellent info and photos, thanks very much. :clap2

Just a quick question , these freelancers if a lonely tourist did want to take one back to his hotel to discuss local culture and customs how much of a fee would we be looking at?

:whistling:

Terrific report excellent info and photos, thanks very much. :clap2

Just a quick question , these freelancers if a lonely tourist did want to take one back to his hotel to discuss local culture and customs how much of a fee would we be looking at?

:whistling:

Hi there Monty. The figure mentioned for an all nighter was 1500 baht but I didnt bother bargaining and suspect a 1000 would do the trick.

Great report. :clap1

I have been to Vientiane several times and always enjoy it. As you say it must be approached with a different mindset from the normal monger traveling in LOS.

Lots of great bars and restaurants in Vientiane. One of my favorites you didn't mention: Khop Chai Deu, which is one of the coolest bar/restaurants I've been to anywhere.

Thanks for the report and pics. :bow

"We serve what you have expected for". Heck, that sign alone was worth waiting a year.

Really nice report, thanks a lot for the BIG trouble it takes to post this kind of thing plus the pics.

• Upvote 1

Well written and useful report. Thanks.

May I ask how you got on language-wise - were there any problems? Was English widely understood?

Hi there Bazle. I seem to get by with English supplemented by some Thai (which has a lot in common) and some French remembering that both Laos and Cambodia spoke French some years back and there is still some around. I have to also admit that I am not an out of the way traveller as I suspect that get 30K out of town and there would be only Lao.

Great report. :clap1

I have been to Vientiane several times and always enjoy it. As you say it must be approached with a different mindset from the normal monger traveling in LOS.

:bow

Aint that the truth! I took a lady to a Saturday dance at the Mekong Hotel. This features a live band and dancing however the crowd is made up of families as well as singles and they were having a great time. I really enjoyed the experience and was up dancing Lao dances. At the other extreme were bars catering to backpackers and oh dear some of the German and Scandinavians were heart breakers.

Another great "Oh to be .. " report. Thanks

When are you off to Myanmar?

Thanks Bill. I have thought of Myanamar and I think that it is getting more tourist friendly now so perhaps...

I have a couple of "Oh to be"...left in me before that.

Regards

A great report and interesting pictures. I interpret from the text that the best part about the trip is that you can say, been there and done that. :chogdee

The early morning in Luang Prabang when all of the monks are walking through town with people giving them food offerings is a site to behold. Many tourists taking pictures, and it is the big event of the day.

Edited by Belem

I interpret from the text that the best part about the trip is that you can say, been there and done that. :chogdee

Gary. Thanks for the comments. I think that there is an element of what you say is correct however only in part. Seems that you read the TR as it was supposed to be read.

I am a strong believer that travel is a very personal and emotional experience. You recall the old adverts used to say, "Half the fun is getting there" but I assume for most on this board its a chore to be put up with.

I have some phobias such as hights and snakes hence for me searching out high points and snakes so that I can confront these fears is a big part of any trip.

The emotional element of travel for me is how I feel about it say 12 months later. Did I connect with the culture, history, people and what was on offer?

As for Laos, yes I did connect. For instance I recently travelled Singapore and Malaysia but won't be doing a trip report because I didnt connect.

Finally, I enjoyed doing the write up and re-looking through the photos so I guess that on this specific trip it was 85% positive and 15% "Been there and done that!"