Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Bike Paths & Routes Around Pattaya

A couple of pretty comprehensive posts, but after reading all that, and viewing the route, I am exhausted and need to have a beer. Maybe I'll ride a bike later, maybe....

Just returned from Memorial. A friend came off his bicycle at high speed yesterday. He was flat out at about 32kms when a pick up joined the path he was on...... from another cycle path!!

4 ribs done and ligaments detached in his shoulder!
Faces an op' this afternoon 250,000 baht already ... I’m assuming that includes the coming op'.
My mate loves cycling and it’s kept him super fit.

Accidents happen..... some worse just slipping in the shower.
My point is ......pick ups should not be using cycle paths.

To all you cyclists ‘expect that they will’

Edited by atlas2

Just returned from Memorial. A friend came off his bicycle at high speed yesterday. He was flat out at about 32kms when a pick up joined the pathe he was on from another cycle path!!

4 ribs done and ligaments detached in his shoulder!

Faces an op this afternoon 250,000 baht already ... I’m assuming that includes the coming op.

My mate loves cycling and it’s kept him super fit.

Accidents happen..... some worse just slipping the shower.

My point is pick ups should not be using cycle paths.

To all you cyclists ‘expect that they will’

Brings up a point. In Europe terrorists in trucks mowing people down and they put up anti car barriers. Happened in US too. Not saying terror there but it is worth asking how safe the path is to wayward motor vehicles.

Thanks for the feedback.

I really enjoy biking in and around Pattaya, same as when I lived in the States. Here I can ride year round and take advantage of that by riding almost everyday. Most days are relatively short rides, 20 - 30 km.

I've been lucky during the nine years living here I've only come off my bike a couple of times with no serious injury, and I've never had an accident with another vehicle. Mostly that's due to luck of not being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but a good part is practicing safe riding. Number one is riding with a mirror. Number two is anticipating some doofus is going to do the unexpected, which I've seen a fair share of.

Cheers all and be safe out there.

Excellent posts from forcebwithu.

I really enjoyed cycling to work in Baltimore. About 35km. I was angry driver and switching to cycling was a calming change. Thanks for the post, your photos remind me of similar scenery on my largely rails to trails ride. Maybe time to dust off the Cannondale and bring her back after my Thanksgiving trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Khao Mai Keao Route

I had a nice ride this morning on a route around Khao Mai Keao. The main thing this route has going for it is once on the north end of KMK you have a very enjoyable ride that's mostly a gentle downhill all the way to Hwy 7. The route can be found and downloaded from Google Maps using this link.

RT distance starting and ending at Pattaya Klang and Sukhumvit is about 59 km. It's a relatively easy ride with only a moderate amount of elevation gain near the south end of KMK.
45307354611_5193023ba6_b.jpg

The first part of this route takes you up Soi Siam Country Club road. While there is no marked lane for bikes, the road is quite wide giving you a comfortable separation from passing traffic.
30368370097_0653c4d093_b.jpg

Along the way you'll pass what once was a darkside favorite, the Butterfly Bar.
45307356621_1f324b4cf0_b.jpg

Just before you reach Map Phrachan reservoir you come to the construction site for the hwy bypass from Hwy 7 to Rayong. To avoid the very muddy dirt road that's being used to divert traffic around the construction, veer to the right around the construction barriers.
45307356451_7626688e49_b.jpg

What you'll find is a very serviceable tarmac road.
45307356371_802e943c74_b.jpg

A much nicer ride on two wheels to what the rest of the traffic is using.
45307354461_0817c367a7_b.jpg

Another benefit is the shade the overhead highway provides.
43492293310_89d13ff5a9_b.jpg

If you're so inclined, a couple hundred meters past the construction site is the entrance to the road running across the reservoir dam. To the left of this road is some nice mtn bike trail, something I'll ride and report on in a future post.
45307356211_51b4843cb7_b.jpg

Another good thing about this route is along the busy roads you have a wide shoulder to ride on that is relatively clear of debris.
45307356081_67e2f93667_b.jpg

Mark your calendar as next weekend is the Chonburi Buffalo Races. The race grounds are on the south side of the reservoir. Looks like some contestants have arrived early and are fueling up for the big race.
45307355931_7d81a0b4ba_b.jpg

Anyone that fancies a game of cricket, now you know where to go.
30368368867_40a8b81bc8_b.jpg

Just past the 3240 junction is the previously posted Bang Lamung Exercise Park and bike path. Since I was in the area I thought I'd make a quick diversion and check out how trees have filled in since my last pics from 2016.
45307355841_ccf00558be_b.jpg
45307355711_503d8bb7e6_b.jpg

Back at the 3240 intersection with SCC road.
45307355591_5e4eded42e_b.jpg
From the intersection to the south end of KMK you have a fairly easy climb spread out over about 6 km. At the top of the climb you'll see the Rugby School off to your right.
45258951342_7de4222353_b.jpg

Once on Hwy 331 you'll again have a wide shoulder to ride on.
45258950862_dfab859174_b.jpg

Reaching the north end of KMK your next turn is on to Rd 1015.
45307355071_a7f3d83a99_b.jpg

From Klang you're now at the approx. halfway point, so time for a break and refueling. Just after you make the turn onto 1015, there are a couple of mom and pop stores to rest at and make your purchases.
30368369297_dbfcbf7a31_b.jpg

My favorite concoction is to mix soda water with Sponsor energy drink. I find energy drinks too syrupy sweet on their own, but by mixing it with soda water it dilutes down to something more palatable.
45307354881_a96d84d778_b.jpg

For this section of the route there isn't any shoulder to speak of, but as there is very little traffic that doesn't present a problem. One thing to watch out for is in several areas rain has washed sand into the road, and it can cover a fair bit of road. More than what you see in this pic.
45258949432_9a2eed2075_b.jpg

For the trip from here to Hwy 7 you'll have a mostly gentle downhill ride with some nice curves along the way to keep it fun. There's a long section that, tucked down on the aero bars, I was able to cruise along at 45 kph w/o having to pedal once.
43492294920_f450f3f3f0_b.jpg

As you get closer to Hwy 7 you'll start to see more pallet manufacturers, thus the nickname of Pallet Lane for this road.
45307358481_e0f3e54497_b.jpg

When you get to Hwy 7 you'll ride a very short section of the frontage road. Just before the first bridge there's a dirt track that you'll need to take to exit the frontage road.
43492294740_9c827465d6_b.jpg

Correction, muddy dirt track. It's a PITA to ride, but it's only about 200 m and then you're back on pavement.
45307358341_0558487df8_b.jpg

Back on hard surface again you'll be treated to a view of the west side of KMK.
43492294360_b77c5632cf_b.jpg

Your next turn isn't marked, but is about 800 m from the dirt track.
45307358041_c2d760022f_b.jpg

For those that are interested in where all the money from Tony Gyms barely used and then abandoned, lifetime gym membership goes. If you continue on a short distance past the turn you'll see the roof top of Tony's palatial estate.
30368370527_946804b568_b.jpg

You really can't see much of anything from the road due to high security walls and foliage, but from space you can see just how large his place is.
30368369157_4406b51957_b.jpg

From this point it's a couple of back roads that will get you back to SCC road. Turns are marked well with signs. First turn to the left at a roundabout. The sign points you in the direction of Hwy 36.
43492294090_71e52b4f57_b.jpg

It used to be you could shoot straight across Hwy 36. But no longer.
30368370417_13525e34a4_b.jpg
Instead you have to use a U turn about 200 m up the road. It's not as bad as it looks since traffic isn't moving too fast due to construction. Once construction is done though I imagine it will be a bit more dicey using the U turn.
43492293880_1a40b34d58_b.jpg

Having made it safely across Hwy 36, next turn is again to the left towards Nongprue.
30368370317_6cc77ae8c7_b.jpg

A short distance later you'll come to the intersection with 3240. Hang a right and keep an eye out for the Black Pearl Bar sign. Not a bad place to stop at if you need a beer and want to cool off in their pool. If you want, you can have female company to help clean you up. Continuing on though, just past the Black Pearl is the road that will take you back to SCC.
43492293680_326fbf955b_b.jpg

At the intersection with SCC continue straight to the T intersection that is the top of Soi Nern Phlap Whan, with a Wat on the left side. Side note: the Wat is the meeting place for the Monkey Extreme Bike Riders rides.
30368370217_851272d0e1_b.jpg

After several hours in the saddle I usually like to relax with a massage. On Nern Phlap Whan, just before the railroad is a one of my favorites, Turien massage.
43492293560_b16334aa4f_b.jpg

Enjoy and ride safe.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Upvote 4

Two slabs of tarmac, one black and one red are chatting in a bar........In comes a green slab of tarmac.

"Be careful with that one"... says the black tarmac to his red friend.

"Why?' asks the red tarmac.

"He's a bit of a cycle path"

• Upvote 3

Two slabs of tarmac, one black and one red are chatting in a bar........In comes a green slab of tarmac.

"Be careful with that one"... says the black tarmac to his red friend.

"Why?' asks the red tarmac.

"He's a bit of a cycle path"

So awful tempted to neg it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Venture Bike in Jomtien looks to have a decent selection of bikes for rent.

I am renting a hybrid/city bike from them right now, over 15 days of rental it's 150 Baht a day which is cheaper than other cities where I've rented bikes and it's an OK set of wheels.

Road bike with dropped bars is the same price, I think but I can't ride them with my back.

Venture is up Chaiya Pruek about 100m from the police box on Jomtien Beach Road at the traffic lights, on the right side as you head up from the beach road.

I find riding in the city is a challenge so I have tried to find low traffic back routes from/to RG including the sois behind the RG that run from 3rd road to Thappraya 15 or even Pratumnak. In the a.m. the Pratumnak sois 4,5,6 are reasonably sane and 5 goes down to the beach where you can walk the bike down to a beach sidewalk that goes to Dongtam (sp?) Beach then joins the official Jomtien Beach Road. Traffic is slow enough on Beach road that it's not bad for biking.

I can't see riding 2nd road or Buakhow or Pattaya Beach Road unless super early like before 7 a.m.

Here's a strange bike "track" of sorts next to the parking for the Bali Hai / Hua Hin ferry complex which I rode today:

IMG_20181028_112040.jpg

It's hard to see but there is a dark blue track around the perimeter with bike symbols on it. It's hard to figure out a low traffic route to Bali Hai with all the traffic and I did have to ride the flyover a bit.

Route.jpeg

This is a safe route with some decent distance and 200 metres of elevation which is all the uphill from the RG and the uphill coming back to Thappraya from Jomtien Beach. Bonus it passes Kinnaree which is tomorrow's pit stop.

Edited by Grandpollo
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for that. Looks a nice ride.

Do they rent bikes there as well?

KM

I don't believe so as I didn't see any indication of a rental shop. The building is certainly big enough to house a rental shop though.

I wonder what sort of hijinks they worry about on a bike path if someone shows up with a bike? It is pretty obvious they don't plan to steal it.

I rode just under 300 km in about 15 days of riding last month (some rain a bit and couple non riding days). I rented a bike from Venture Bikes just up from the police box from Jomtien Beach Road on Chaiyapruek. 3,000 Baht for 20 days rental prepaid, and a deposit of 1,000 but I only had 500 left after the prepayment so they accepted that. And a copy of your passport and where you stay. It was an OK bike but make sure they put a mirror on the right especially if you are not from a left drive country as it really helps you keep from getting whomped by Baht buses and more often, motos.

They delivered it but after a day I felt guilty because I then rode past the shop almost every day and I could have just ridden it back the first day once I started working out routes. Behind the RG once you memorize the roads it is not bad for traffic and then across Thappraya from Thappraya 15 takes you to the Pratumnak roads down to the start of Jomtien beach before Dongtan. I even visited Kinnaree a couple times, the only cyclist there, no big surprise. Most of the Pratumnak roads are not bad for traffic and it's got good elevation (so does Thappraya) for a decent ride, averaging about 250m elevation per 20 km or so. Regional Land past Camel Toe, and the sports club is not bad but you end up crossing Thepprasit, which is hairy indeed for a cyclist.

The roads past the other go-kart tracks down to Na Jomtien are fun but have a phone with Google maps because the tourist maps are useless and often wrong and lack detail. I got a little lost a few times because there are some roads that just stop. A lot of garbage out there some on fire and stinky. Also on a few days a few cows watch you cycle by.

So if you can't get out to this impressive cycle path within Pattaya there are a few non-suicidal options.

• Upvote 1