Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

First Visit to Pattaya in 19 months

Amazing photos! Thank You for sharing. 

I like the photo Of ”good everything” Beer bar. Thats the bar Where I first fall in love with a thai woman. It was back in 2009 and I was just 21 years old at the time. Her nickname was ”Apple” a beauty from Nakon Ratchasima. Even paid get a visit on the country side! But a lot of water have run under the bridge since Then. 

another fun thing is the hotel behind   ”good everything” (Page 10) Thats Where I Will stay in month of June during my comeback in Pattaya. Not Been on Pattaya for 4 years so i Am very excited. Perhaps i find a New apple This time ?

Thanks for sharing photo ?

Uno 

• Upvote 2
26 minutes ago, Odense said:

When did the name "Pig & Whistle" become non PC?

Sendt fra min ANE-LX1 med Tapatalk

The business was bought by Indians a couple of years ago and in their wisdom they decided to change the name slightly. They did some marketing of the bar and their product on Facebook but came over as totally clueless.

• Like 1

Ahh - but the selling point WAS traditional English pub. What is the selling point now?

3 hours ago, Odense said:

Ahh - but the selling point WAS traditional English pub. What is the selling point now?

The theme is the same. They just show pictures of an empty bar without the draft beer pumps on the counter. The pictures of the food they showed were terrible, think Kiss Good breakfast standard.

I'm sure it is currently closed.

Edited by tallguy
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, tallguy said:

The business was bought by Indians a couple of years ago and in their wisdom they decided to change the name slightly. They did some marketing of the bar and their product on Facebook but came over as totally clueless.

Thought it was because they bought the lease, but not the name, thus the slight change in name.

Same happened when Heaven Above moved out of their location on WS and to a new location on Soi Boomerang. The new business in HA old location dropped "Above" from the name and called itself Heaven Agogo.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Thought it was because they bought the lease, but not the name, thus the slight change in name.

Could be, it's a couple of years ago now. Whatever the circumstances it is a ridiculous name.?

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos RT.

Its not surprising you don't remember the others after Kink, it's best to have that as your final destination of the night.

Treetown comes alive after dark.  The Buakhau and LK Metro are the area to visit. Walking St is a waste of time in my opinion.

On 5/22/2022 at 2:03 PM, RhinoTusk said:

Stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel, where I've never stayed before.

You caused me some mental grief.... I recall that building before it became Hard Rock, but for the life of me could not remember the old name. It opened as Hard Rock around 2001 or so after substantial renovation, but I had stayed there prior and had foolishly pre-paid in Bangkok for several nights there.... That was my early days and I was a bit green around the edges, and stupidly feared arriving in Pattaya and not being able to find a room..I used to be straight on the razz,  so used an agent near Nana. The hotel hit me with a joiner fee which I think was 500 baht... could have found an alternative hotel for that price and got change back then.

I actually woke up in the middle of the night trying to recall the old name....  mulling through the alphabet.

I have never since stayed at Hard Rock, I held a grudge!

The old name was Merlin Hotel. Just popped into my head. 

Thanks for your post. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jacko said:

You caused me some mental grief.... I recall that building before it became Hard Rock, but for the life of me could not remember the old name. It opened as Hard Rock around 2001 or so after substantial renovation, but I had stayed there prior and had foolishly pre-paid in Bangkok for several nights there.... That was my early days and I was a bit green around the edges, and stupidly feared arriving in Pattaya and not being able to find a room..I used to be straight on the razz,  so used an agent near Nana. The hotel hit me with a joiner fee which I think was 500 baht... could have found an alternative hotel for that price and got change back then.

I actually woke up in the middle of the night trying to recall the old name....  mulling through the alphabet.

Thanks for your post. 

I made the same mistake booking the Siam Bay Shore for a week.  The joiner fee was 800.  I tried sneaking girls in taking different paths through the grounds but they had their employees trained to catch you every time.  I never stayed there again, which was a shame because I really liked the resort.

RT, thanks for the update. Always like your TR, and much appreciated. 

• Upvote 1
On 5/23/2022 at 4:36 PM, jacko said:

Thanks for your post. 

The Merlin was my first hotel when I began visiting Pattaya in late 96.  Stayed many times till they closed to become Hard Rock.  Was a nice place.  Decent pool area.  Affordable, I got the US Navy rate which was just over $20 including an awesome breakfast, all you can eat if memory serves me correctly.  They would usually give me an upper floor on the water side, nice views.  Awesome security staff who took pretty good care of us.  Almost got the pooh beat out of me by a Russian mobster once because in a drunken stupor I became infatuated with his incredibly beautiful Russian girlfriend at the pool.  Really missed it when they closed...believe I switched to the Flipper House around then for 2-3 years.....which of course brings back memories of the wild and crazy days of Soi 8.  The typical walk from the Flipper to 2nd was one of the loudest, most exhilarating strolls I have ever been on.  An ongoing kaleidoscope of random debauched imagery that boggled ones mind....

Edited by BigusDicus
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, BigusDicus said:

The Merlin was my first hotel when I began visiting Pattaya in late 96.  Stayed many times till they closed to become Hard Rock.  Was a nice place.  Decent pool area.  Affordable, I got the US Navy rate which was just over $20 including an awesome breakfast, all you can eat if memory serves me correctly.  They would usually give me an upper floor on the water side, nice views.  Awesome security staff who took pretty good care of us.  Almost got the pooh beat out of me by a Russian mobster once because in a drunken stupor I became infatuated with his incredibly beautiful Russian girlfriend at the pool.  Really missed it when they closed...believe I switched to the Flipper House around then for 2-3 years.....which of course brings back memories of the wild and crazy days of Soi 8.  The typical walk from the Flipper to 2nd was one of the loudest, exhilarating stroll I have ever been on.  An ongoing kaleidoscope of random imagery that boggled you mind....

It's saving grace (The Merlin) was the large garden and pool  area, but as I said, having pre-paid they insisted on a joiner fee. The rooms were rather cramped too I recall. I was put onto a place further North near the International Hospital owned by PIC or PIH, or PIK, that had like bungalows that was more liberal. Thinking back, like RhinoTusk, it may have been 600 baht! I had a similar time when I stayed at that tower place at Pattaya Park, they had security knocking on my door at midday (I unplugged the phone) insisting I paid a new days joiner fee as I tried to sleep late. Threw away 3-4 days of pre-paid room booking there. The walk down Soi 8 is a depressing thing these days, but soi Buakhao has picked up a lot. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jacko said:

It's saving grace (The Merlin) was the large garden and pool  area, but as I said, having pre-paid they insisted on a joiner fee. The rooms were rather cramped too I recall. I was put onto a place further North near the International Hospital owned by PIC or PIH, or PIK, that had like bungalows that was more liberal. Thinking back, like RhinoTusk, it may have been 600 baht! I had a similar time when I stayed at that tower place at Pattaya Park, they had security knocking on my door at midday (I unplugged the phone) insisting I paid a new days joiner fee as I tried to sleep late. Threw away 3-4 days of pre-paid room booking there. The walk down Soi 8 is a depressing thing these days, but soi Buakhao has picked up a lot. 

The Merlin charged you a joiner fee?  I missed that, thought you were referring to the Hard Rock.  Merlin never charged any of us a joiner fee (perhaps part of the Navy package).  One time when I showed up last moment and the Merlin was booked solid I stayed at the place just south, Montien perhaps?  They hit me with a joiner fee.  First I had heard of the term/concept.  Was quite incensed.  Fortunately was able to wiggle into the Merlin withing 2-3 days 

Edited by BigusDicus
29 minutes ago, BigusDicus said:

The Merlin charged you a joiner fee? 

Yes, the mistake being having pre-paid in Bangkok I believe. 

• 4 months later...

We love your journal.  Please keep your talents posting.    I hade the same disappointing experience at TQ.   Though one girl let me change her tampon at the irritation of those waiting to use the toilet. Interesting as I never did that before.  But not enough to return.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

LK President represents good value in an accommodation IMHO.  The building is only a couple years old, you get a large room with a nice view, HBO and two Cinemax channels, they do have a pool (I haven’t tried it), and the room rate is one-half of the Hard Rock Hotel and one-third of the Wave Hotel, the other two properties reviewed in this thread.  I’ll probably stay there again my next visit, I think it’s better than Areca Lodge, for a slightly lower rate.

12 minutes ago, RhinoTusk said:

LK President represents good value in an accommodation IMHO.  The building is only a couple years old, you get a large room with a nice view, HBO and two Cinemax channels, they do have a pool (I haven’t tried it), and the room rate is one-half of the Hard Rock Hotel and one-third of the Wave Hotel, the other two properties reviewed in this thread.  I’ll probably stay there again my next visit, I think it’s better than Areca Lodge, for a slightly lower rate.

You might have lucked out with low occupancy. IIRC, there were reports pre-pandemic that with more people staying there it caused long waits for an elevator.