Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Agoda, Trivago or book direct?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm asking on behalf of a friend going to Patts for the second time.

As the title, he would prefer to use Agoda, but personally I've always emailed the hotels directly and booked that way. The rates are often within a few baht of each other, plus, if the place turns out to be not what you expected you can always leave after a few nights.

Talking about Pattaya hotels here of course.

He's looking around the higher end, LK's, Mikes etc.

Edited by Butch

I usually use Agoda, though I don't know if it's optimal or not. Living here doesn't afford me that many opportunities to book hotels, so I just use what I know.

Composed on a mobile phone.

I would at least check on booking directly. It's getting common over Agoda rates/reservations to be nonrefundable.

• Upvote 1

Same as MM..... Agoda... for the few nights a year I want to stay in town.

I use a particular place and always seem to get in, and for a night or so am not particularly price-sensitive.

It seems expedient.

Depends on when and how long for your pal.

For me, it depends on the season and the 'crisis' situation, whatever that may be. Sometimes I have found that if there is a dearth of tourists I can get a better deal by speaking with the Hotel directly than I can on Agoda (or other booking site). Other times, the booking agency can get me a better deal than I can negotiate directly. If I can be bothered, I will try both avenues and pick the best option.

Once staying at Sabai Lodge i booked through Asia rooms for 7 days once the 7 days was up i wanted to rebook and the best the manager could do was about 200baht more expensive than Asia Rooms so I had to log online and rebook through Asia rooms.

Just recently on Trivago my friend and I booked room in Hua Hin , he only booked one room so when we got to the Hotel we had to rebook through Trivago as the manger couldn't match the Trivago price.

If you are dealing with an owner you may be able to negotiate some great deal but in a big hotel the manger may not have 30-50% discount authority

I use to use Sawadee and thought that this was the best of the booking sites. I then came to understand that why pay two months ahead when I can book direct and pay two months behind! Seems to me a no brainer to go direct and also in this way you tend to create a relationship with the hotel and not with the booking site. I also can always ask for the room of my choice rather than taking pot luck. IMHO its the only way to go.

Once staying at Sabai Lodge i booked through Asia rooms for 7 days once the 7 days was up i wanted to rebook and the best the manager could do was about 200baht more expensive than Asia Rooms so I had to log online and rebook through Asia rooms.

Just recently on Trivago my friend and I booked room in Hua Hin , he only booked one room so when we got to the Hotel we had to rebook through Trivago as the manger couldn't match the Trivago price.

If you are dealing with an owner you may be able to negotiate some great deal but in a big hotel the manger may not have 30-50% discount authority

Coincidentally I was in one of the Flipper places and waiting behind an Indian guy who was trying to haggle down a price to extend his stay.

He was complaining that the offered 'best' price there was more than he had paid using Agoda....... in fact he declined it, and went off to try and log onto Agoda and see if he could do better.

Cheers guys,

He's heading out in Sept for 18 nights. As suggested here I'll tell him to try the online methods, then email direct and see. A bit of a muck around, but perhaps it'll be best to whittle the choice down to just a couple or three and then go from there. I think if it's a case of a couple of hundred baht over the total price, then he will book via Agoda.

On the subject of cheap rooms, we alweays use laterooms.com if ever we need to in the UK. Our best ever deal, the St James' Court Hotel at the Buckingham Gate in London for £79 on a friday night, down from a rate of £400 for a classic double room. Still ended up paying £12 for a bloody G&T though. Tossers.

Cheers guys,

On the subject of cheap rooms, we alweays use laterooms.com if ever we need to in the UK. Our best ever deal, the St James' Court Hotel at the Buckingham Gate in London for £79 on a friday night, down from a rate of £400 for a classic double room. Still ended up paying £12 for a bloody G&T though. Tossers.

Don't you love those mini-bar fridges which seem to have a 'ker-ching' device, you pull out a £10 can of beer and it is registered and on the bill before you can get the top off! :D

Coincidentally I was in one of the Flipper places and waiting behind an Indian guy who was trying to haggle down a price to extend his stay.

He was complaining that the offered 'best' price there was more than he had paid using Agoda....... in fact he declined it, and went off to try and log onto Agoda and see if he could do better.

I can sympathize. I was in the Majestic Grande a couple of months ago, and wanted to stay another night. I told the front desk and they told me that I'd have to pay much more than I had the previous two nights which I booked thru Agoda. She recommended I book the room for another night thru Agoda..which I did.

The Sabai Lodge one i think i just stumped up the extra 200 a night , but the Hua Hin one was a mystery hotel deal (Wotif normally have a couple of loss leaders) so it was about 800 a night cheaper than website rates so we did book that online whilst in the hotel lobby

Also take a look at www.booking.com as well. At least there you can seacrh around and book your rooms, without having to cough up the money until you arrive.

Its good to do it that way incase you find a better deal/offer on another site.

• Upvote 1

I always like to book through Agoda, especially for the first few nights stay in Thailand. That way, the room is paid for and waiting for me when I arrive. After the first fdew days, I usually just go with the flow and book directly with the hotel or guesthouse.

Edited by js007

I always book direct with the hotel. I’ve checked booking sites from time to time and generally by the time you’ve added the various taxes, charges and credit card booking fees, there is no real saving. Also, when I find a room I particularly like, I can specify the room number.

Booking direct I never have to pay up front – the worst case scenario is giving a credit card number to guarantee the room. To date I have never cancelled a trip, but you never know…

Also take a look at www.booking.com as well. At least there you can seacrh around and book your rooms, without having to cough up the money until you arrive.

Its good to do it that way incase you find a better deal/offer on another site.

I thought Booking.com and Agoda.com are owned by the same people? Do they offer different prices from each other btw?

In Bangkok and Phuket I use Agoda....much cheaper than dealing with the hotel directly,but in Pattaya use the hotel website...only because they have rooms when Agoda says they are full.

Let me throw another few ideas around on the subject.

I did the rounds and found out where and what suited me. It was easy at that stage to determine if I was on a better deal going direct than using an agency in tems of cost.

I used Agoda for booking in Laos and the places stayed at and ratings didnt seem to have any resemblance to reality.

If I am delayed or have to cancel and I have not paid up front there is no issue in trying to get a refund.

As stated previously, pay after you have been there and not before by putting the whole thing on the credit card. Incidentally I also get a cash back deal on my credit card so this is an extra discount to be added to the months that you have earned in interest on the basic booking cost. OK, only perhaps 2% but this is 3 times a year!

Deal direct with the hotel Manager when you book and hold him/her to promises made with your emails as evidence. This is especially valuable if you want to book a specific room number (which as far as I am aware you cannot do with an agency).

Use your direct dealing to score some extras. These could include a discount for longer time stay, room upgrade or free breakfast etc.

Sort out some of the smaller issues up front. One trip I would only stay with a hotel that would give me a split charge so that I could take off for a week (and not be charged) travelling and have a locker for storing my case while I was away. In this instance I got all that I needed from the Sabai group.

As you can see I am a real fan of direct bookings over using an agency however there is one instance where I would use the agency for all or part of the trip. I have used Expedia because I can call them and talk with a real people and discull the nuances of the trip. Once on their data base you will be offered some interesting deals and I once stayed a few days at a top hotel that I would never be able to afford because I got a great discount deal.

I've always found Atsiam.com to offer the best prices for the Areca Lodge. Plus as you build up your account you can get further [ small ] reductions

Hi,

That was a steal. Premier Inns would be dearer than that !

I used Agoda once. I had to cancel my trip two days before I was to leave. No hassle getting a refund.

I used Agoda once. I had to cancel my trip two days before I was to leave. No hassle getting a refund.

True if it is a refundable rate. A lot of the rates now offered on Agoda aren't these days. It's fairly easy to tell which is which.

Like a lot of people have said it is a mixed bag. I have a friend who manages a hotel in Pattaya. She told me to book through Agoda because it is better than anything she can offer. On the other hand a call with reference to the FLB rate gets a much better price than Agoda offers at the residence gardens. Research, research.

Edited by jimbowx

I thought Booking.com and Agoda.com are owned by the same people? Do they offer different prices from each other btw?

In Bangkok and Phuket I use Agoda....much cheaper than dealing with the hotel directly,but in Pattaya use the hotel website...only because they have rooms when Agoda says they are full.

A few years back, Agoda was bought by Priceline. I'm not sure about Booking.com.