Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pattayatalk.com Board Upgrade Notice - Saturday December 15

The time is come... Pattayatalk is getting a facelift. Or maybe beer goggles. Or both.

I will be taking the current site down at some point on Saturday Dec 15 (no set time - just after I wake up), and I will be doing the upgrade to the latest forum software.

I expect the downtime to be less than 6 hours, and with any luck only about 2-3. If any unexpected issues arise during the transition, I will cancel the upgrade and re-activate this website.

After the upgrade, the URL for the forums will change slightly, but going to either www.pattayatalk.com or www.pattayatalk.com/forums will automatically forward you to the new URL. I do not want to give out the new URL just yet because I do not want any traffic at all hitting it until I know the upgrade worked, but I can tell you that the URL will be on the pattayatalk.com domain and will be just as easy (if not easier) to remember... Immediately after the upgrade the web page that is currently at www.pattayatalk.com (the FLB Bar one), will be gone - but the new website may not be in place yet. Eventually there will be a landing page there for the pattayatalk forums that will include some information, a memorial page for Martin and various other links and services for expats and tourists alike. That website is in development now, but I doubt I will finish it by Saturday, so I will simply forward all that traffic directly to the forums.

If you try to visit any pattayatalk.com domain URL while the upgrade is happening, you will see a blank website with a simple warning saying that the website is down for maintenance. Once the site goes live, you can refresh the page to be forwarded to the new forums (hopefully).

I am also going to hire a graphic artist to re-design our pattayatalk logo. I will use the same exact theme, but update it a bit for a more modern look. Until that is done, the new forum will not have a logo, but instead just say "pattayatalk.com".

Will keep this notice up for the next couple days as an advert, so it will be very visible.

• Upvote 3

I would be very surprised if the upgrade isn't a success. From frostfire's posts he has put in a lot of work ahead of the upgrade to test and resolve issues before releasing it to the general public. Now having posted this I'll probably be the one responsible for jinxing the upgrade. So if the upgrade goes tits up you know who to blame. :behead

Ditto from us Frosty. What would we do without you?

Pattaya Talk would not be here.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all your efforts Frosty. It's been emotional. See you on the other side.

Another note to self: When hiring a random barely-english-speaking guy from fiverr.com to redo your logo, make sure you are very explicit with what you want.

Sent him our current logo. Told him to make it almost exactly the same, just updated to be more modern and with a color scheme to fit the new forums, and I provided him a link to the test forums to see the colors there. The test forums were at ptalk.servingtulsa.com (which is now down, obviously). Here is the logo I got back lol. Lets hope round 2 goes better. Asked him to add shading and perhaps change the colors a bit. Its too... well... too something. I'm not a graphic artist.

Oh, and I asked him to get the fucking name right. Idiot.

servingtulsa.png

• Upvote 1

Yes I'm always getting the words "Pattaya" and "talk" mixed up with "serving" and "Tulsa." Easy mistake to make.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Can't decide which looks better on the site tho. The colored one may be "too much"... but the white one makes the mouth look over-colored. Thoughts anyone?

Pattaya Talk_colored_Transparent.png

The white background one will look like this (had to screenshot it from the test forum, since this page has a white background and you cant see it here)

Capture.PNG

i can ask... but I can't just use one from a google search. Thats illegal :)

Most likely the one the guy I hired used is illegal too, but purchasing it from him gives me legal cover lol.

I prefer the second with the RAF blue background.

• Upvote 1

Yes, me too.

I hope I'm not out of line saying this but I don't like the mouth!

Always had the suspicion that we weren't supposed to like it.

I'm not a mindreader but I wonder if the mouth image is intended to convey "talk". Unfortunately, it conveys to me another oral activity!

The fact that it is right beside "Pattaya" re-inforces that thought!

Maybe an image which looks like someone talking, placed to the right of "Talk", would be better.

Good points all.

I do not know what Pete's original intention was, but considering the nature of the forums I strongly suspect it was not intended to portray talking. in any case, for the immediate time being its what we have to work with, until I pay another designer to give it another go. I am terrible with graphic design. give me a good coding issue and I can fix it no problem... but I'm, afraid my stick figures are not recognizable as stick figures when it comes to drawing of any kind lol.

I am prepping the servers for the upgrade now. I plan to start it in the next couple hours.