Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 252 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

A friend in Pattaya posted this article on his facebook page and I am linking to it now. 

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailand-may-scrap-two-week-mandatory-quarantine-for-foreign-visitors-345059?fbclid=IwAR1bYnS57rsHOyr8A43S93bP7Wj2fA5iBTFTMPVqMVmqSsnoBv_26E1Frm8

Hoping to hear there are more rumblings of this locally.  Like Bangkok newpapers or whatever. 

• 4 weeks later...

October is the absolute earliest in my humble opinion........ Europe is in free fall, Asia is deteriorating..... Thailand has political problems to keep the world’s eyes away from...... all these businesses are going to have to survive on expats spending for maybe another year......

5 hours ago, parry said:

Wow, no replies in over 3 weeks, on surely the most important topic for any monger locked in at home. The board seems to be sinking faster than Pattaya itself. 

No comment necessary. It will all pan out, in time.

5 hours ago, parry said:

Wow, no replies in over 3 weeks, on surely the most important topic for any monger locked in at home. The board seems to be sinking faster than Pattaya itself. 

I think it will be Xmas. What else is there to say?

If you want a forum that has multiple threads on the same subject, that has Mods and forum owner that have multiple accounts to boost traffic purely to generate income from advertising then look no further than ......... 

• Like 1

Another suggestion has been released about making Phuket isolated and allowing no quarantine tourism..... it also requires getting everyone on the Island inoculated. To be honest rumours and big ideas keep coming fast and furious as political figures try to get a light shone on themselves. Fed up of it. 

Every month a different scenario. But October will see restrictions easing in the UK barring a new nasty variant. The vaccine will be widespread in the UK and Europe and Thailand will ultimately issue requirements...vaccine passport, negative test and relevant insurance.

Flights and accommodation may rise, but most people haven't been spending  so on a positive spin hopefully normality will start to return. Its just a case of which businesses have survived. 

12 minutes ago, john5001 said:

Every month a different scenario. But October will see restrictions easing in the UK barring a new nasty variant. The vaccine will be widespread in the UK and Europe and Thailand will ultimately issue requirements...vaccine passport, negative test and relevant insurance.

I wonder what the situation would be in October if all tourists are jabbed up, with all the required tests and certificates, but Thailand hasn't rolled out an efficient vaccine, the virus has spread amongst the population and everyone is put in lockdown ... with an alcohol ban the same as last year... OR .... there is rioting in the streets with people getting shot as is happening in Myanmar??

Miserable bastard aren't I.

52 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

.. OR .... there is rioting in the streets with people getting shot as is happening in Myanmar??

Funny you should mention that! 

I've been thinking how ironic it would be if the Covid restrictions in LOS and our home countries were relaxed, so that we could get to LOS again, only to find that civil unrest meant our governments were advising us not to travel! 

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I've been thinking how ironic it would be if the Covid restrictions in LOS and our home countries were relaxed, so that we could get to LOS again, only to find that civil unrest meant our governments were advising us not to travel! 

Very well said..... I really think that we are just a few months away from an escalation in protesting and rioting. 

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

It's possible, though I don't recall this being a problem in the past, not even for military coups.

59 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

Very well said..... I really think that we are just a few months away from an escalation in protesting and rioting. 

Unpopular government and king don't help.

But there again nobody knows what's around the corner...sometime just as well.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, john5001 said:

Unpopular government and king don't help.

But there again nobody knows what's around the corner...sometime just as well.

I’ve long said that allowing too many tourists back in isn’t in the governments own interests....... nice that they can deal with problems without too much scrutiny 

20 hours ago, monkeyman said:

It's possible, though I don't recall this being a problem in the past, not even for military coups.

I think there were times in the past when there were Government advisory notices on the Embassy website suggesting not flying.

20 hours ago, monkeyman said:

Fairly sure there have been FCO advisory notices about travelling to the South of Thailand for a number of years. There were similar warnings about Bangkok during the red shirt protests about 10 years ago. However, I think they have always fallen short of the level of warning that would have invalidated travel insurance.

Fairly sure there have been FCO advisory notices about travelling to the South of Thailand for a number of years. There were similar warnings about Bangkok during the red shirt protests about 10 years ago. However, I think they have always fallen short of the level of warning that would have invalidated travel insurance.
Stand to be corrected but as I see it your own country who decides who is safe to visit and this in turn sets the insurance warnings and conditions. In other words, no matter what the Thai government says, your own country could scupper the insurance cover.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, teelack said:

Stand to be corrected but as I see it your own country who decides who is safe to visit and this in turn sets the insurance warnings and conditions. In other words, no matter what the Thai government says, your own country could scupper the insurance cover.

I'm sure you're right.  My annual policy has a condition that required me to stay away from areas that the FCO says are unsafe.

...couple of my travel buddies have booked for late October.   For myself, that is too far out and uncertainty is abound.  i will wait till the early fall and then adjust accordingly 
My take on this is that I would rather hold off and possibly pay a premium on my fare than have to worry about cancellations, re-booking, getting refunds or credit notes. Some of the horror stories on this site have made me cautious about air lines and travel agents ability to act in the best interests of the customer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
34 minutes ago, teelack said:

My take on this is that I would rather hold off and possibly pay a premium on my fare than have to worry about cancellations, re-booking, getting refunds or credit notes. Some of the horror stories on this site have made me cautious about air lines and travel agents ability to act in the best interests of the customer.

Yes, that's my view too.

There are just so many variables on both the Thai and home country sides to book now. Some of those need to be settled before I book.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Yes, that's my view too.

There are just so many variables on both the Thai and home country sides to book now. Some of those need to be settled before I book.

Too true mate, you never know when the "sandpit" will come up with another scheme.

Redirecting 1 million doses of the chinese vaccine to Phuket is the latest plan to be approved by the cabinet. What about the rest of the country !!!

1 hour ago, teelack said:

Same here.  I am an optimist but the risk reward tells me to wait. 

Talked to my son yesterday. He said he and my brother in law are coming in Oct. I told him son you need to keep up on the details of announcements that we are opening and how quickly they can change. At least call me before buying non refundable tickets. My airline ANA is offering no fee changes on tickets purchased June through Sept. This does not apply to the ticket refund rules.